Q: Where are the materials located that I can check out?
A: The majority of the library’s print materials are located on the intermediate level of the library. These materials may all be checked out with a valid library card. Additional materials such as government documents and DVDs, can also be checked out. All materials that can be checked out are located in the library online catalog. If you need assistance locating materials, please contact the Circulation Desk.

Q: How do I locate a book in Curry Library?
A: Books and other materials may be located in the Charles F. Curry Catalog, which is online at http://kansascity.searchmobius.org/search~S6/ . The call number for the item is located in the item record, and most materials are located on the intermediate level of the library. For assistance with a location please contact the Circulation Desk on the main floor. The following is a description of some of the more frequent catalog locations:

WJ Closed Circ: Materials located at the Circulation Desk

WJ Curriculum Lab: intermediate level of the library in the children’s book section

WJ E-book: Electronic book that can be accessed online

WJ Gen Collection: Intermediate level of the library

WJ Gov Docs Closed: Government Documents section on the Intermediate level; can be requested at the Circulation Desk

WJ Journal/Mag Main: Journal, magazine, and newspaper section located on the intermediate level of the library.

WJ Juvenile: intermediate level of the library in the children’s book section

WJ Main Closed: Materials located at the Circulation Desk

WJ Partee Center: Archives located on the Intermediate level; contact Circulation Desk for access

WJ Spec Alumni: Archives located on the Intermediate level; contact Circulation Desk for access

WJ Spec Jewelliana: Archives located on the Intermediate level; contact Circulation Desk for access

Q: How are the books shelved?
A: The books in Curry Library are organized using the Dewey Decimal Classification System. Below is a general list of the numbers and categories used.

000-099 – Computer science, information & general works (including encyclopedias and reference materials)

100-199 – Philosophy and psychology

200-299 – Religion

300-399 – Social sciences (including politics, economics, education, and law)

400-499 – Language

500-599 – Science

600-699 – Technology (including medicine, applied sciences, and engineering)

700-799 – Arts (including music)

800-899 – Literature

900-999 – History, geography, (& biography)

Q: How do I check out a book
A: To check out a book or other material with a lending period, take the material to the Circulation Desk with your student ID card. Your student ID card must have already been validated with the current semester sticker. There is also a self-checkout station near the south wall of the Curry Library which you may use anytime to checkout books.

Q: What is the checkout period?
A: The initial lending period for checking out books, including inter-library loan books, is one semester. Some books may have special stipulations, of which you will be informed at the time of checkout.

Q: How do I renew my books?
A: You may ask for assistance at the Circulation Desk to renew books, although the preferred method is to click on the Your Library Account on the Curry homepage and renew your books or other materials online. In some cases, such as if the material has too many renewals; you may need to contact the Circulation Desk by phone or in person.

Q: If my book is overdue, what is the fine?
A: The fine for an overdue book is $4.00, which must be paid to the Business Office located in the library, before you are allowed to check out additional materials.

Q: If my book is lost, what do I do?
A: If you have a lost or damaged book, contact the Circulation Desk. The replacement fee is $39.00 per book. Some books from other institutions (inter-library loan) may have a higher fee.

Q: How do I put a hold on a book?
A: To place a Curry Library book on hold, you must log in to your Curry Library account by clicking on the Your Library Account link. Once you have logged in, you may click on the link to Search the Catalog. When you choose a title, there is a link at the top of the item record to Request the item. You may then enter your information, including desired pickup location and date needed by. You may add special notes, such as “will pick up the evening of 9/26.” You may contact the Circulation Desk for assistance with holds.

Q: How do I obtain journal articles?
A: Journal articles can be obtained in print or online in the electronic journal article databases. For print holdings, search for the journal title in the online catalog. Electronic articles can be found by searching in Summon or in a specific journal database. Journal articles can also be obtained through inter-library loan.

Q: Where are the print journals located?
A: The most recent 10 years of print journals are located on the intermediate level of the library. Issues published prior to10 years ago are located in the closed section of the intermediate level. You must contact the Circulation Desk with the volume and issue numbers and the Circulation Staff will obtain the journal for you. You may make photocopies of the journal content but they cannot be checked out.

Q: Where are the DVDs located?
A: DVD cases are located on the 2nd floor of the PLC. The DVD may be obtained by bringing the DVD case to the PLC Information Desk for checkout.

Q: How long can I check out DVDs?
A: DVDs may be checked out for a lending period of three days. If the DVD is not returned on or before the due date, there is a late fine of $3.00. If a DVD is lost or not returned, there is a charge of $23.00.

Q: How do I obtain government documents?
A: Government Documents can be accessed in print or online. If the library holds a print government document, it will be listed in the library catalog. To request a government document, you will need to give the title of the document and the SuDoc number (the government document call number) located in the catalog record. For government documents available online, you may access the most frequently requested government documents through the Government Documents link on the library home page. Another way to find electronic government documents is to search the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications located at http://catalog.gpo.gov/F. If you need assistance with locating government documents, please contact hamlettr@william.jewell.edu.

Q: Where are the reference books?
A: The majority of the Curry Library reference materials are interfiled in the general collection on the intermediate level. Reference materials can also be located online in the e-books section.

Q: How do I retrieve materials my professor has placed on Reserve?
A:Course reserves are held in the PLC on the 2nd floor and available to students during staffed hours. Contact the PLC Information Desk for course reserve materials. You will need the course name or number and the name of the professor. You will need your student ID card to check out the materials.

Q: What are the online resources?
A:There are different types of online resources.

Summon is our latest research tool, and compiles the article databases, the e-journals, the e-books, and the library catalog records to give a comprehensive list of materials available from Curry Library. The majority of the electronic resources are available in full text. Summon can be searched by typing search terms into the search box located on the Curry Library home page.

Electronic JournalsThese databases, located on the Journals and Databases page, are collections of full-text journal articles from many different journals and are indexed and searchable. Most articles can be printed or saved for future use.

E-Journals:E-journals are fully digitized journals. They appear online just as if you visited the library and photocopied the journal. Full issues are listed by volume, issue number, and date. Journals can be found by title or subject in the Journal Search located at the E-Journals link.

E-Books:E-books are fully digitized books that can be read online, and on some tablets and e-readers. The books appear just as they do in print, and can be cited the same as citing a print book. E-books are fully searchable and many e-book services provide tools for annotating and printing.

Q: How do I print from the library computers?
A: To print from the library computers in the PLC, you will need to be logged in to your Jewell account on the computer.Assistance may be requested at the PLC Information Desk. Please remember that pages printed at the library printer will count against your print quota of 750 pages per semester. For additional print pages, please contact the Business Office casher in the library.

Q: Why can’t I get full-text online?
A:Curry Library pays for access to journal article databases and e-journal subscriptions. The level of access to these journals and articles is most often determined by the publisher or the database vendor. While Curry Library attempts to access the most content possible, in some cases only the citations or abstracts are available. In other cases, the publisher may place an embargo on a journal, which means that the full content of a journal is not accessible online for a certain amount of time, in most cases one to five years. Journal articles that are not accessible online can be requested by using the ILL Journal form located at the Library Forms link on the home page.

Q: What can I access off-campus?
A: All electronic resources held by Curry Library can be accessed off campus by entering your Jewell username (last name, first initial) and Jewell email password (usually the last four digits of your social security number) into the Proxy Server web page.

Q: How do I obtain a book or article the library does not have?
A: There are a number of inter-library loan options. Inter-library loan services are free for WJC students. Faculty and Staff are free unless the lending library requests a charge. ILL books can be checked out and returned at the Curry Library Circulation Desk. ILL articles do not need to be returned.

KANSAS CITY/MOBIUS: These resources can be accessed from the Curry Library Catalog by clicking on the Kansas City (local libraries) and MOBIUS (regional libraries) links at the top of the Catalog home page. Searched items can be requested by clicking the “Request” link on the page. Enter your account information (name and Jewell ID number followed by WJ) and the material requested will be sent to the Curry Circulation Desk. The Circulation Desk will email you when the material arrives.

WorldCat: The WorldCat catalog, located on the Journals and Databases page, allows patrons to request materials from partner libraries around the world. Curry Library is one of over 10,000 libraries participating in this partnership. To request an item, click on the “Borrow this item from another library” link located in the item record. Enter your information, including 0.00 for max cost, and click Submit. The material requested will be sent to the Curry Circulation Desk. The Circulation Desk will email you when the material arrives.

Article Inter-Library Loan: Articles which the library does not have access to full-text can be requested through inter-library loan. Some databases allow a user to request an article directly from the database. Other articles may be requested by filling out the ILL Journal Form located at the Library Forms link. In most cases inter-library loan articles will be emailed directly to you. In a few cases the article will be sent to the Circulation Desk and you will be contacted via email to pick up the article.

Q: How long does inter-library loan take?
A: We suggest allowing yourself at least 7 to 10 days for the delivery of inter-library loan materials. Since articles are delivered electronically, they are generally delivered much faster than books. The length of time for print materials to arrive depends primarily on the material’s original location. For example, if a book is arriving from an institution in Kansas City, it may take much less time than a book arriving from an institution in California.

Q: Does the library have textbooks?
A: Generally the library does not purchase textbooks required for course curriculum. Course textbooks can be purchased or rented from the Jewell bookstore located on the ground floor of the student union. Some texts may be available from the library in the course of routine or requested purchases or subscriptions. These materials are available only on a first-come first-serve basis and the library does not guarantee that a text required for a course will be available.

Q: Where are the archives located and what materials do they hold?
A: The archives are located on the intermediate level. There are two sections of the archives; the Center for Baptist Historical Studies which is the depository for the Missouri Baptist Historical Society, and the college archives which holds historical material related to William Jewell College, Liberty, and individuals connected to the college community. An appointment to conduct research can be made by contacting the Archive Librarian, Rebecca Hamlett, at hamlettr@william.jewell.edu.

Q: How do I get help with research?
A: You may set up an appointment to receive one-on-one assistance with locating research materials for assignments or for other scholarly research purposes by emailing Rebecca Hamlett at hamlettr@william.jewell.edu. You may also seek assistance with resources and locating materials at the Circulation Desk.

Q: Where can I get help with writing a paper or tutoring assistance?
A: Assistance with writing, citations, coursework such as Math and CTI classes, and other tutoring assistance can be obtained at the Academic Achievement Center, which is located on the third floor of the PLC in Room 306.

Q: Can I access online resources after I graduate?
A: After graduation patrons can access the online resources, including e-books, e-journals, and databases for 6 months.

Q: Can the library help me with computer problems?
A: Assistance for basic computer problems, such as connecting to the network, Outlook, and printing can be obtained at the Circulation Desk. For problems with library-specific resources such as electronic access to databases, the online catalog, e-book services, and electronic journals, or the proxy server, please contact the Circulation Desk or the PLC Information Desk at plc@william.jewell.edu. There are also resources for using technology on the PLC website, plctech.zendesk.com. For all other problems, please contact the department of Information Services by entering a Help Desk ticket on Jewell Central under computer support.

Q: Where are the “quiet” floors?
A: The second floor of the PLC is designated as the quiet floor; we ask that patrons be considerate of those around them. Please see the Guidelines for Problem Behaviors for more information. The intermediate level of Curry library is also designated as a quiet floor. On the intermediate level are individual study carrels and we ask that patrons respect others’ desire for a low volume of noise in order to study individually.

Q: I think I lost something in the library…
A:Lost and Found for the library can be located at the PLC Information Desk. Items not claimed by the end of the week will be turned into the Office of Student Life. Please bring your student ID to identify and claim your item(s).

Q: Is food and drink allowed in the library?
A:Food and drink is allowed in the library. We prefer that there be a lid on drinks brought into the library, when possible. We ask that if you eat or drink in the library please clean up afterwards and throw all trash away. If something is spilled, please be courteous and inform the Circulation Desk.

Q: Where are the restrooms?
A:The PLC has Men’s and Women’s restrooms on each floor. In the Curry Library, the men’s restroom is located on the intermediate level of the library. It can be reached by going through the doors with the glass windows located by the drinking fountain. Go down the stairs and the restroom is on the right. The women’s restroom is located on the 2nd level.  Go up the stairs and the restroom is on the left. There are also restrooms located in the hallway of the library’s south side entrance